Friday, 10 July 2009

Week 17 .... and so it goes

Well I had a really good few days last week. It must have been the new anti-depressants kicking in ... slept better, no headaches and no pains in my face, ear or temple. Marvelous!! Actually words cannot describe how wonderful it was to feel 'normal'. I have forgotten what 'feeling normal' felt like!

Sadly though, it didn't last and the symptoms have gradually returned over the past two or three days. And how. So today I have been advised to start on the dreaded steroids (in the form of dexamethasone, and only a smallish dose) in order to reduce the brain swelling and relieve the symptoms somewhat.

As I have written here before, I have been reluctant to resort to steroid treatment but I now feel that the symptoms are becoming so unpleasant that not to do so might actually lead to more damage to my brain than not taking them!

I have been told that I may only need therapy for about 4 weeks and then I can be weaned off them gradually. This is reassuring as there can be many side effects and most of them are pretty horrible ... although happily the risk is less with shorter courses and smaller doses.

Something about a rock and a hard place springs to mind.