Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Week 28 ...... one week from follow-up appointment

On 20th August I had my follow-up appointment with Dr L.K., my radiology/oncology consultant. We discussed a) how I was feeling and b) my current medications, i.e.

  • That I am managing OK but still having nausea/dizziness (occasional), headache (fairly often) and shooting pains upper face (often).
  • That I have weaned myself off the Dexamethasone because of the side effects - swellling of face and neck, insomnia, agitation, depression and weight gain.
  • That I have increased the Dothiepin from 50mg at night to 75mg, and that this helped in that I can now go back to sleep when I wake in the night.
L.K. also told me that they were confident that the FSTR regime I have been given will prove to be an effective one, and that:

  • The aim of the treatment was to destroy the tumour cells and prevent further growth.
  • Symptoms felt before the treatment started may not change.
  • Because meningioma cells are very slow growing there is no point in doing a further scan for at least one year, and I will be recalled for my first follow-up MRI in July 2010.
  • The full outcome of treatment may not be evident for up to five years.
  • Meanwhile I should get out there and get on with my life.
Getting on with my life sounds simple enough. Of course it does, silly.