Monday, 17 October 2011

Double trouble! ..... was it diplopia?





A very weird thing happened yesterday! I was reading in the lounge and looked up out of the window on my right to watch one of our cats, Oliver, stalking a very large Paradise duck. The duck soon flew off unharmed but to my amazement I found that I was looking at two distinct Olivers walking one behind the other!

Naturally enough I found this rather alarming so I looked away to check if I was 'seeing double' of every thing around me .... but I wasn't. I looked outside again and found that I was now looking at two Pru's (our other cat) who had followed Oliver across the lawn. This made me realise that this "double trouble" was definitely not a figment of my imagination! It only appeared to happen when I looked to the right without completely turning my head. However, all seemed to return to normal within a very short time (around 2 to 3 minutes) and I have not had any repetition as yet. 

Diplopia (double vision) is a distinct condition and should not be confused with "blurred" vision. It has many potential causes which may involve various different structures. Because one of the many causes could be interference in the pathway of one of the cranial nerves III, IV or VI it might be significant in view of Feckit's position in my brain. Even though it has only happened on this one occasiion I thought it prudent to inform my doctor just in case it should occur again.


No comments: