Monday, 26 November 2012

Temporal Artery Biopsy (1)



So, Good, it all went well today. Arrived at the hospital well in time for my appointment at 8 a.m. After a short wait (not crowded at that hour!) I was examined by a very lovely eye surgeon who looked about 25!! He examined the backs my eyes very thoroughly using the slit lamp and also tested the pressures ... passing me with a clean bill of health on both!

After another very short wait I was taken into a consulting room, where I lay on an extremely narrow stretcher bed for the procedure:

1. Shaving a small part of the area to be incised and injecting with local anaesthetic. This was a little painful but only for a minute or so.

2. Lying still while he dug around, snipping about to release a small artery. This took a lot longer than I expected ... around 25 minutes.

3. Suturing up the layers.

4. Application of pressure pad and bandage to suppress bleeding.

5. Verbal and written instructions on care of wound with the various do's and don'ts.

6. Results of biopsy in 2-3 days.

7. Sutures out next Monday or Tuesday at my own GP surgery.

From arrival to departure took about 1hr 45 mins.

If results are indicative of Giant Cell Arteritis then I will be taking Prednisone regularly for 12 months or so, at least. If results are negative I will be referred back to the Neurologist.

Pressure bandage can come off tomorrow ... will post pic of the wound then!





3 comments:

Andrea Garramone said...

Hot Doctors are great! I am so glad that they gave you a clean bill of health, I expected nothing less. Please post again so we know how you are doing!!

Anonymous said...

oh mummy, will be there in two weeks with hugs and kisses xxxx

Sarah said...

Thinking of you xxx